After completing his bachelor of science degree at Oregon State University in Corvallis, Oregon, Dr. Shrout earned his medical degree from Uniformed Services University of the Health Sciences in Bethesda, Maryland. He then completed a transitional internship and an orthopaedic surgery residency at the Madigan Army Medical Center in Tacoma, Washington. Following his residency, Dr. Shrout received advanced fellowship training in hand and upper extremity surgery at Walter Reed Army Medical Center in Washington, D.C., and Curtis National Hand Center, Union Memorial Hospital, in Baltimore, Maryland.
Achieving the rank of Colonel, Dr. Shrout served 24 years in active duty with the U.S. Army as a forward surgical team leader, chief of surgery, clinic instructor, and intern director. For his service, he was awarded the Order of Military Medical Merit (2010) and the Meritorious Service Medal (2004, 2007, 2011).
In addition to his academic and military accomplishments, Dr. Shrout served as an official team doctor for the Washington Spirit, the DC United, and the DC United Women’s soccer clubs from 2011 to 2013. He is board-certified by the American Board of Orthopaedic Surgery and has also received subspecialty certification in hand surgery and sports medicine.
When he is not seeing patients, Dr. Shrout enjoys golf, water skiing, and fitness.
- Oregon State University, Corvallis, OR
- Uniformed Serves University of the Health Sciences, Bethesda, MD
- General Surgery, Madigan Army Medical Center, Tacoma, WA
- Orthopaedic Surgery, Madigan Army Medical Center, Tacoma, WA
- Hand and Upper Extremity Surgery, Walter Reed Army Medical Center, Washington, D.C.
- Hand and Upper Extremity Surgery, Curtis National Hand Center, Union Memorial Hospital, Baltimore, MD
- American Board of Orthopaedic Surgery
- Certificate of Added Qualification, Hand Surgery
- Certificate of Added Qualification, Sports Medicine
- American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons
- American Society for Surgery of the Hand
- Arthroscopy Association of North America
- Bronze Star Medal, 2003
- Meritorious Service Medal, 2004, 2007, 2011
- Oder of Military Medical Merit, 2010
- "Top Doctor," Castle Connolly - Washington/Baltimore, 2012
- Massachusetts Avenue Surgery Center
- Fracture Care for the Hand, Wrist, Forearm, Elbow, and Shoulder
- Arthritis and Overuse Injury Treatment of the Hand, Wrist, Elbow, and Shoulder
- Tendon and Nerve Injuries of the Upper Extremity
- Carpal Tunnel Syndrome
- Cubital Tunnel Syndrome
- Dupuytren's Contracture
- Rotator Cuff Tears
- Shoulder Instability
- Sport Injuries of the Knee, including ACL Tears and Meniscal Tears
- Arthroscopic Surgery of the Wrist, Elbow, Shoulder, and Knee
- Surgical Treatment for Injuries and Painful Conditions of the Upper Extremity
- Endoscopic Carpal Tunnel Release
- Collagenase Injections for Dupuytren's
- PRP Injections
Phone: (301) 340-9200
Office: Rockville & Germantown